This is an easy, healthy take on a comforting meal that is perfect for those busy week nights when you need to just whip something up for your family. Typically, pasta and tomato sauce can be loaded with added sugar and carbs found in white flour and whole wheat pasta and store-bought jars of sauce. A meal like that meal will likely fill you and your kids up for a little while, spike some energy, and then leave you feeling gross and lazy. So, instead, try swapping out some unhealthy ingredients with similar options that will leave you more energized and provide you with more protein and nutrients.
It is no secret I love Trader Joe’s. They have healthier options more readily available and less expensive than any other local health food store nearby. If you don’t have a TJ’s near you, spend some time reading more labels while you food shop and you will find similar options to the ones I used to prepare this meal. Brown rice pasta and quinoa pasta are both on the rise and they are much better options for us than even whole wheat pasta. Look for plain cans of crushed tomatoes and if you see “sugar” written on the ingredient list, put it down and keep looking. This meal can be made with the white meat (no skin, sorry!) from rotisserie chicken or even left over cooked, cubed chicken that you may have. Of course, if you have the time, you can always cut up chicken breasts into pieces and cook in a skillet prior to tossing in the sauce.
- salt, pepper, oregano
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil, ripped up
- 1.5 lbs roasted chicken ( I used a package of roasted chicken breast from TJs, see picture)
- 1 package brown rice pasta (I used a TJ brand for this as well)
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- In a large skillet, heat tsp of EVOO.
- Stir in garlic and onion. Cook over low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add in can of crushed tomatoes and basil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and oregano to your liking.
- Toss in chicken pieces and continue stirring to heat through.
- Spoon cooked pasta into a bowl and top with tomato mixture.
- *Sprinkle with parmesan or goat cheese if you’d like!